Colin Bloom

Working for Porem van Mokum:

I prefer to get to know the person first. I then do some straight pencil sketches of the
person, which I take back to the studio. Making the sculptures from
sketches, gives me freedom of action, not to make something too literal. I
first do some small versions, so I can work rapidly when undertaking the final full size version.


Chief Ben



















 
Left Right



















 
Spirit Head





















I like working in clay because it can be carved or built up and assembled. This duel flexibility gives me great sculptural freedom, although there are also structural limitations. It is also a primal material, which can be transformed to possess meaning and content and one having a long history of use.

My sculpture deals mainly with faces or the body, which for me tell stories, histories, mysteries and feelings. Some faces appear to me as if once seen they have entered in to my unconscious repositor then resurface. I wonder why I chose these faces and why they must mean so much to me.

I am also influenced by the sculptures from ancient and tribal cultures. Their creations manage to distill the essence of their heritage, edowing an indelible presence. I strive to create a presence to my work that gives the material a new strong identity and allow stories and connections to emerge. www.bloomcreativestudio.com

 

"Colin heeft een heel eigen stijl van portretteren. Hij  'demonteert' een portret en maakt het weer met minder delen in elkaar'. Hiermee treft hij op zijn eigen manier ook de essentie van iemand". Saskia de Rooy